Sunday 26 August 2018

Out of a disaster comes a new mixed media journal, Part 1.

Absolute disaster in my craft room... I left the skylight open when the weather was bright and sunny...... and forgot about it. Yes, you've guessed,  it started raining and the water leaked through the skylight. Several weeks later I go into my craft rom to find my craft table showing significant evidence of water damage with things like  the paper covering my table, pads of paper and  my half used mixed media journal all still wet and ruined by the water! To say I'm gutted about my art journal is putting it mildly! I'd done a lot of work in it some of which I thought was really good... ah well a lessoned learned -  make sure I close my window!
It's forced me to clear my table and put down new clean paper and coverings if nothing else. That is not an easy task given the mass of "stuff" I have on the table!  That is why my pictures show a nice clean background LOL.

I guess it has given me a new project to do which is to make a new mixed media journal.

Last year I bought a large sheet of watercolour paper intending to make a journal once my current one had been finished so I have started my journal using that. The paper is a  Daler and Rowney A1 size white cartridge paper (220gsm) bought from my local Hobbycraft store.


I cut the width  into thirds and the height into quarters leaving me with pages 16x8 inches in size.  I folded and  burnished the folds well and inserted each page inside each other to create a booklet. One A1 sheet created 12 page book.

The next stage is to fix the pages together by stitching the pages through  centre fold. I measured and marked, with a pencil, even spaces for the holes that the thread would go though.  I used a pokey tool, piercing mat,  some thick thread and a darning needle to fix the pages together.

I measured enough thread, three times the height of the book and create a double thread. I inserted the needle through the centre hole leaving a line of thread to tie later.  you can do this either from from to back or vice versa. I worked from inside out this time. I then pushed the needle through one end hole back inside the book. I then  inserted the needle into the other end hole through to the external of the book and back through the centre hole. I finally tied the thread to the one left dangling at the start to complete the fixing. Finished by cutting the thread.
I could use the outside page as a cover but I am going to add a more sturdier material for this. This will come in part 2. Which will be done tomorrow so keep watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment