Thursday 17 May 2018

Perpetual Calendar (Part 2)

I managed to finish my calendar today.
How did I finish it? Once the tags were all decorated I used my Cinch (WRMK) to punch holes in each one.
I then turned my attention to the base. I lined up the three pieces and adhered some Tyvak to join the pieces together. I thought the Tyvak would strengthen the edges where the base folds to create the sides. Some tutorials, online, make the base from one piece of chipboard that is scored but I felt I'd get a sharper fold at the base by using separate pieces that gives a cleaner edge.
Next, I covered the whole base with coordinating paper from the same pack. Although the paper is a lovely quality it doesn't like being folded and has a tendency to crack. The folds on the inside cracked but it didn't matter because once folded into a valley fold you couldn't see it. I was pleased that the paper on outside of the base didn't crack. Unfortunately I was so engrossed in what I was doing I forgot to take a photo! It wasn't exciting just patterned paper covering both sided of the base. I gave the whole base a coat of Mod Podge, just like the tags, to make it more durable.
Finally it was time to assemble all the pieces together. I used my WRMK Cinch to punch holes in all the tags and the base. I did try it out on some spare card to make sure the holes were placed centrally on each tag.
I then cut and fed the wire through the holes lining each group of tags along side each other.
I did find it difficult to use the machine to close the wires because of the shape of the base and thickness of all the tags. The wires were not staying in shape.  In the end I just squeezed them closed with my hands.



The whole project took me about 3 afternoons/evenings to complete I got a great sense of achievement finishing it. It's been a long time  since I made anything like this.
Yes I do know it's not Friday the 3rd May, its the 4th today, I was just flipping the tags to take a photo.... well that's my excuse anyway!!

You can download the cutting file for this calendar HERE . The files are in .studio and .svg format.




No comments:

Post a Comment