Wednesday 16 May 2018

Perpetual calendar ( part 1)

I'm not a major card maker, If I'm honest I prefer scrapbooking and other paper craft project. My latest project has been inspired by  a "We Are Memory Keepers" blog in 2014. WRMK was selling a kit to make the calendar but I figured it would be easy to make with my own stash.
I need a calendar for my desk and thought this would last me years so that's what I'm making.

My first step was to cut out 33 pieces of 2 x 5 inch rectangle from  chipboard. I used chipboard for sturdiness but cardboard would do just as well. It sounds a lot of rectangle but you need 12 for the months, 7 for the days  2 sets ( 0-3) (0-9) of numbers for the date. I rounded the bottom 2 corners with my WRMK corner punch.

I also cut out two covers measuring 5½ x 8 ½ inches and one piece 8½ x 2 inch for the base and rounded the corners here too.

Next I had to choose what papers to use. I chose a paper pad I bought in a local shop called "The Works". It was by Make and Create. I've only seen this paper make in The Works, they are very inexpensive but the quality of the paper is excellent. I only used the one pad so that all  my papers would coordinate.

 I cut out 66 pieces of  2 x 5 from the  paper and adhered them to both sides of each rectangle. I used Mod Podge to stick them down.
 Once my rectangles were covered I organised them into  piles deciding which ones I wanted for each section of the calendar e.g days, months etc. I also decided which would be the front and back of the  rectangles. I decided to use the same pattern for the front of each group to make it easier to organise. I stuck "Post It" notes on each pile to remind me to which  group they belonged. It didn't matter what was on the back of the rectangles because they would not be decorated except the Months. I chose a plainer paper for the back of this group so that I could write down birthdays on the back of any specific month.

Next, I went  to my Cameo machine and cut out the numbers, words  and embellishments that would be adhered to the front of the rectangles.Thank goodness for this machine otherwise it would have taken forever to get all that done!  I realised my numbers and words didn't stand out against the background so I offset some pink paper and matted and layered everything onto the card.  Next I edged them all with brown  Staedler fine markers to help them pop out of the rectangles.

 I did this part of the project over 2 afternoon. Adding all the layers was quite time consuming so I had regular coffee breaks to ease my stiff neck!
The rest will be completed in part 2.  The free cutting file for this project will also be in part 2 so keep watching!

1 comment: